Sunday 24 June 2018

Simplicity 8418 Review

Haven't done a sewing post for a little while and I wanted to get one up before the end of the month. In previous Monthly Favourites posts, I mentioned I had made a jacket using a pattern from Simplicity so that's the focus of this review. This review will be about the Simplicity pattern 8418.



Pattern Description

The pattern is described on the packet as a lined bomber jacket with fabric and trim variations. The pattern has two styles of jackets: View A is a jacket in one tone and View B is a jacket with contrasting sleeves and appliques. The neck, sleeves and bottom band are made of ribbing or stretchable knit fabric. The jacket has lining on the interior and I have seen some people on the internet make the jacket reversible instead of lining. It also has pockets which is always a plus!!

Sizing
The sizing of the pattern is 4 to 22 and comes in two packets (4-12 and 14 to 22). I made the size 10 of the View A pattern which was a good fit for me. Doesn't look super fitted but the arms are long enough for me and the bottom band isn't too tight.

Instructions
There is no skill level marked on this pattern like some Simplicity ones are and I would have to rate it as intermediate skilled as there are some tricky techniques. You could make it as a beginner if you had worked with commercial patterns before and understood the steps. I found some steps difficult to follow and the instructions weren't detailed enough. Step 18 is where I got stuck as you need to anchor the lower band seams together but when I had attached the lower band to the jacket in Step 14, I had pressed down the seam. So when you get to doing Step 18, the fabric wants to go upwards and a different direction from the way it currently is. The problem I was having was that the fabric was bunching in the front corner part and flipping over. The fabric I was using was quite thick and heavy so I guess if you used lighter fabric, you could easily press this down (however there is quite a few layers here). 

Alterations
The only alterations I made was not gathering the jacket bottom but this was due to the fabric I used. The fabric was kimino fabric and didn't like gathering at all (it would unravel the fabric). So I didn't gather the jacket or the lining which just meant I didn't have the stretch the bottom band too much in order to match seams and notches.

Fabric Used
For the jacket, I used this stunning oriental style fabric a friend gave me a long time ago. I had it sitting in my fabric stash for years originally planning to make a dress from it. But when I saw this pattern released by Simplicity, I knew I just had to use it for it! It's beautiful fabric however it frays like crazy. I had to work quickly and overlock most edges right away because it would fray so quickly. Even some sections I overlocked were still fraying underneath the stitches. You also need to be very careful not to catch anything on the fabric as it's quite delicate. The lining was just basic satin from Spotlight and the ribbing was from there as well. I had a lot of trouble finding ribbing initially but just settled with a white colour eventually. 

Likes & Dislikes
I enjoyed making this pattern and there wasn't any aspects of the design I didn't like. I think it's interesting that people have worked out you can make it reversible. Not sure if I'd try that yet, but I'd love to make a denim version and stick motifs all over the back. The main dislike I have for this pattern is the zipper instructions and Step 18 (which I mentioned earlier). The zipper was a pain for me because I brought the length I needed, then when I got to that step it was too long. The zipper I had brought was also not adjustable so I then had to go on an adventure to find a zipper. Visited heaps of sewing shops and eventually found the perfect one quite cheap. So I marked out where to put the zipper according to the dots you needed to match and I still needed to adjust it. Turns out the zipper has to be a bit shorter than what you think it needs to be. I had to adjust mine a few times however this was the first time I've adjusted a zipper so I might just be dumb at the whole thing.

Another dislike I have isn't particularly about the pattern, but more about Simplicity's customer service. I thought I would contact them for more information about Step 18 before I attempted it. Along the bottom of the pattern packet, there is a contact email for Simplicity. So I sent an email to that and turns out it's not even a real address! The email bounced back to me. Found that a bit silly listing something that doesn't work. Went on their website and used the contact us form instead. It took a few days to get a response and the responses just told me to follow the instructions. No mention of which ways the fabric should be going which was my actual question. Not very helpful really and I couldn't work it out in the end, so I just did it how the instructions said.

Conclusion
I've noticed other pattern brands bringing out similar or identical patterns to this one, so it seems to be a popular design. I quite enjoyed making this one and would do it again in a different type of fabric. It had quite a lot of steps to follow and it took myself  a while to finish as I had trouble getting the ribbing and zipper. Highly recommend this pattern if you want a stylish bomber jacket with pockets!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marzi it’s Jo I thought I’d comment on this post as it’s your most recent.
    How are you ?
    I had a great birthday I bought Cooking Mama Sweet Shop after my birthday with a
    Argos voucher it’s fantastic but I can’t compare it to anything else as I’ve never played a cooking mama game before but I love it, Cooking Mama games are really rare and hard to find in the UK so I was lucky to get Sweet Shop so easily I kept checking every day to see if it was back in stock although CEX has literally everything imaginable in stock including all the Cooking Mama games they’re just very expensive, I got some Nintendo eShop vouchers for my birthday and I bought Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX £29.99 I love buying games for the cases but Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX is SO rare, CEX stock it but its £48.00 which is ridiculous.
    I was also going to ask if you could remove my Shopdo ID from the list please it’s 0003531208 as it no longer exists.
    Thanks so much :) X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated the Shopdo list and took your ID off :)

      Sounds exciting and you'll have plenty of games to play. Cooking Mama Sweet Shop isn't too hard to find here, but I'm just waiting until it comes around $20. I've tried Hatsune Miku but I didn't really enjoy it. Not super into rhythm games but I know it was popular in my nintendo group when it came out.

      Delete
    2. Hi Marzi thanks for that I didn’t want any dissapointed customers Haha,
      I love Rhythm Games I always have and Hatsune Miku is so Cute,
      Cooking Mama games are Strangely rare in the UK I don’t know why I don’t think they’re very popular here,
      I also got the 3 Wedding Amiibo (Mario, Peach, Bowser,) and the Detective Pikachu Amiibo :) ,
      And lots of Disney Store stuff (Shop Disney For You In Australia) which I Love :) ,
      I also got loads more 3DS games too,
      Thank you so much for removing my Shopdo ID You’re so helpful :) ,
      Thanks so much :) X .

      Delete
    3. 3DS games aren't too hard to find in stores here as EB Games usually has them or you can order them online. We don't have any Disney Stores here that I know of, there used to be one decades ago in a Westfield.

      Delete