Saturday 17 March 2018

CocoSori Mini Album Vol.2 Mi Amor - Album Review

One of my favourite K-Pop groups CocoSori brought out an exciting new single recently and now it's time for a review of the mini album that was released for the single. The title of album is Mini Album Vol.2 - Mi Amor and was released in Feburary 2018.

Mi Amor Front Cover

The album only comes in one version and the single was funded through the crowd funding website Kickstarter. There was quite a few tiers you could support starting from 3000JPY (about $36AUD) which is pricer than most basic tiers in other Kickstarters I have seen. There was even tiers for 300,000JPY (a crazy $3669AUD!!) which included the latex outfit from one of the girls from their Dark Circle song. I didn't support the Kickstarter myself, but it achieved a total of over 2 million JPY which is amazing!

The Mi Amor album is about the size of a standard DVD case but not as wide. I like this size of K-Pop albums as they are easy to store and give the appearance of a book which I quite like. The Mini Album includes the following contents:
  • CD- 6 Track Album
  • Photobook - 20 Pages
  • Photo Postcard - Random from 2 designs.

Interior of album with photo postcard.

The design of the album has a beautiful red and white aethestic to it to fit in with the latin feel of the Mi Amor song. The album is quite sturdy which I always appreciate and the CD sits in a proper CD holder unlike most K-Pop albums which just have the CD stuck on a felt circle thing. It is better for international shipping as well as it helps hold the CD in place during shipment. There's nothing worse than receiving a package to find the CD has been rolling around in the album the whole time.

Mi Amor - Back Cover.

Mi Amor - CD Case.

The photo book is gorgeous! Even though it's only 20 pages, there are some stunning photos inside and the photo book is well presented. The lyrics are included for all the songs on the album and the lyrics are written in both Korean and Japanese. I like how the girls cater to their Japanese fan base as well as their Korean one. I feel they could be incredibly successful in Japan if they focused on it and released songs like Orange Caramel's Japanese tracks. A list of thank yous and production notes are also included. Here are some photos of most of the pages in the photo book.









The photo post card included in the mini album is quite big! When someone posted a photo of their photo card on a forum I follow for the group, I was quite surprised at how big it was (I hadn't received my copy at that time). I will definitely be putting this somewhere nice to display in the future as it doesn't fit in my photo card album. I was lucky enough to receive the photo that I wanted to get. There is this design in the red dress that I got and another which is in the outfit that the girls are wearing on the album cover. I was hoping to get the red dress one as I wanted a different design to the front cover. Luckily I got my wish! The post card is well made and the photo is clear. The back features the single logo in the album's signature colour red.

Mi Amor Photo Postcard - Front View.

Mi Amor Photo Postcard - Back View.

Now for the tracks on the album! Half of the tracks on the album are new releases whilst the others have been released previously. There's one thing that annoys me about K-Pop and J-Pop albums is when companies release albums with songs that you've already purchased. It's a pain as you are spending more money basically buying the same thing with sometimes only a few new tracks. But it's always nice to spend money and support my favourite groups, so I end up buying a lot of albums like this.

The tracks on CocoSori's Mini Album Vol. 2 - Mi Amor include:
  1. Mi Amor
  2. Static Electricity
  3. Wishy Washy (Coco solo)
  4. Dark Circle
  5. Mi Amor (Instrumental)
  6. Dark Circle (Instrumental)
So the first two tracks are new releases as is the instrumental for Mi Amor. Wishy Washy had previously been released digitally as a solo for Coco and Dark Circle was the group's first single. My favourite track on the album would be Static Electricity as it has the original quirky sound of the group which got me interested in them before debut. Mi Amor is the title track and has a more latin feel to it. I just felt like Mi Amor sounded like your generic K-Pop song. Whilst I enjoy it, I felt like the girls had abandoned their unique style to cater to the more mainstream market to gain fans. Unfortunately the single wasn't a huge success and only sold 89 copies. I hope this doesn't discourage the girls and their company from continuing the group in the future and hopefully we'll get another comeback in the future. There was a pretty big gap between Mi Amor and their last Korean single Exquisite. A Japanese single was released a fair while ago and I'm hoping the girls release a Japanese mini album one day with Japanese versions of their songs. Both Coco and Sori were busy over the last year with solo projects so it's amazing we even got a comeback with their success in other groups/projects.

For some reason, Blogger won't bring up the Mi Amor MV in the insert video tab, so please visit this link if you would like to see the MV which the girls filmed in Macau. I've posted a choreography version of Mi Amor below as well.


I purchased my copy of Mi Amor from YesAsia and I pre-ordered the album to ensure I got my hands on a copy. YesAsia is now out of stock of the mini album, but it is still available on KpopMart. Ebay even has some copies available but the sellers have priced them at way above the RRP. You can also track the album down online at Japanese music stores if needed. CocoSori albums often go out of print quick because not many copies are produced as they are from a smaller company. I shall leave you with the group's other two Korean songs, Dark Circle and Exquisite plus Coco's single Wishy Washy. Blogger didn't want to post the MV version of Exquisite so I just included the dance version and you can find the MV version here. Coco also has a Youtube channel if you are interested in following her vlogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment