Wednesday 26 January 2022

TWICE Happy Happy - Single Review (Regular CD Only)

First music review of 2022 is TWICE's HAPPY HAPPY single! I've had these images saved on my computer for a while so I thought it would be a nice start to the year. I'm aiming to get more CD reviews posted on Marzipan Wonderland this year and it would be great to add more links to reviews in my end of year collection round-up. Let's get straight into it then!


HAPPY HAPPY is Korean girl group TWICE's fourth Japanese single and was released on July 17th 2019. The single was released in fourth editions: Limited Edition A CD+DVD, Limited Edition B CD+DVD, Regular CD Edition and a limited ONCE JAPAN Fanclub CD Edition. I brought the Regular CD Edition from a seller on Yahoo Auctions along with the Breakthrough single (which I have reviewed here!). Those two singles were released quite close together so it was easy to find them in a listing together. The copy of HAPPY HAPPY that I received came with the following contents:
  • CD - 4 track single
  • Jewel Case
  • Lyrics Booklet
  • OBI
  • Photocard (10 to collect)
  • IC Card Sticker


Loving the design of this single and it is a nice contrast to the Breakthrough design. The two singles have similar designs but feature the girls in both dark and fun concepts. The front cover of the single has the girls hanging out on a beach style backdrop with some delicious looking icecreams. The back cover is rather boring compared to the front but I've come to expect this from releases nowadays. No one puts effort into album designs much anymore. At least the fern looks nice and having the text rotated in a different direction is a fun touch.


Now the CD design is gorgeous and fits the theme of the single design perfectly. Always a big fan of unique designs on CD's and I quite like this one as the fern design cuts off at an interesting point. It helps highlight the single title on the top part of the disc. Now I'm no graphic designer with my description, I just think that looks nice and matches the Breakthrough CD :) Underneath the CD, there is a background of the set from the front image and boy is is colourful!




The single I brought came with the OBI of course and it looks great next to my Breakthrough single. TWICE's Japanese singles have excellent OBI's however I'm not too hot on the black squares near the top. I believe that is more to do with the distributor than the single design as my ONCE JAPAN edition of Fanfare also has it so it cannot be a Regular Edition thing.


The lyrics booklet is rather simple and quite on standard for a Japanese release. There's a photo on the front which is what you see in the case and inside you will find the lyrics. Production credits listed on the back of course and that's it. The ONCE JAPAN edition comes with an 8-page booklet and I wonder what you get extra. Probably some photos of the girls or something nice like that.




My single came with two extra goodies and it was lovely to add some more TWICE cards to my collection. They are up there with AFTERSCHOOL as the most photocards I own for a group but you do get quite a lot of photocards in their releases. The listing I brought from contained the group photocard which is cute and a IC sticker card. I like how the sticker card is much smaller than the MOMOLAND pre-order bonus stickers. That thing is huge and this one is a nice size to display. I got Chaeyoung which I love as she is one of my bias in TWICE.




Being a single, HAPPY HAPPY only contains two songs and the accompanying instrumentals. HAPPY HAPPY is the title track of course and it is a fun upbeat summer song. Reminds me of the summer songs E-girls used to release. As I mentioned earlier, the song is the opposite concept to Breakthrough which was released around the same time. The second track is the Japanese version of The Best Thing I Ever Did which the original could be found on their repackage album The Year of "YES".
  1. HAPPY HAPPY
  2. The Best Thing I Ever Did [Japanese Ver.]
  3. HAPPY HAPPY (Instrumental)
  4. The Best Thing I Ever Did [Japanese Ver.] (Instrumental)

Here are the covers for the other three editions of HAPPY HAPPY and I'm a fan of the Limited ones. Limited Edition A is an amazing photo and I adore Limited Edition B as I'm always fond of this square layout design. The ONCE JAPAN cover is a bit boring as it is just a copy of the Limited Edition A photo but shrunk down. Ugh I hate it when this happens, like if I'm buying multiple editions of the same single, I want new photos!

Limited Edition A CD+DVD

Limited Edition B CD+DVD

ONCE JAPAN Fanclub CD Edition

Of course this single is a must by for any TWICE fan and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always love the group's Japanese releases and love how easy they are to purchase on Yahoo Auctions cheap. Because the group is very popular right now, it's easy to find their singles as people buy a lot to collect the bonus items. The one thing I enjoyed about this single along with Breakthrough was how the singles were released separately even though it was kind of a double-A side single. It has always bugged me when group's release Japanese songs as double A-side singles. I like the shorter titles and the covers designs to match. I don't know, it's just a me problem haha. Anyway here is the MV for HAPPY HAPPY!  ☀


No comments:

Post a Comment