Wednesday 25 September 2019

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Play Journal - Gulliver Problems

Over the last few months, I've been enjoying Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp and was playing it religiously. I did all the events, all the tasks for villagers and completed all the goals and daily tasks that were available. Now if you've been following the game, you'll know that a new update was rolled out recently that pretty much broke the game. The developers have basically made the game in a cash-grab with huge gambling aspects and locking content behind micro-transaction aspects. Sure the micro-transaction aspect of leaf tickets as always been in the game and you could get away pretty easily without spending real money on the game. But now the once beloved Gulliver who you could previously unload all your duplicates to for treats and new villagers has become a major cash grab and time intensive aspect of the game. The chance of getting the new villagers from him are slim and the amount of materials, bells and time you need to invest in to get anything from him is ridiculous. So when the new update came out, I loaded my game up however it kept crashing for me so I couldn't even check out the new features. I headed over to the Pocket Camp Reddit and boy was I shocked. There was stacks of threads about how the developers broke the game economy and ruined many game features. Once I could finally get into my game, I went to check out Gulliver for myself which rather confused me. I kinda figured it out but the rewards I had were really stupid ones. A bunch of shirts I already had and other junk that is not worth investing a stack of good materials on. And the kicker is that each reward has a chance of being gotten so you don't even know 100% what you'll get. If you want to see different rewards, either wait 5 days or pay 300,000 bells. The list goes on and on about the new Gulliver system and it's craziness but I cannot understand it enough to explain. I've tried the new system out once and it definitely wasn't worth it. So I'm just ignoring it for now until Nintendo does something about it. Anyway, here's the recent round of game screenshots I had saved so let's start off with this adorable photo of Bob!



A while back there was a fun Hello Kitty themed event in Pocket Camp and the gyroid hunt had these adorable Hello Kitty inspired designs. Oh so adorable! I think the unique gyroid designs for the events were one of the best aspects of the game for me. There was a chance to craft this cute Hello Kitty amenities if you collected enough materials for it. There was also a bunch of leaf ticket fortune cookie sets based off Sanrio characters to buy as well. I got quite a few of the Ponponpurin furniture and clothing items as they were my favourites.




Some snapshots of recent fishing adventures and some fishing tourney stuff. Fishing was always something I enjoyed in Pocket Camp and found the system much easier to play than New Leaf. Fish seem to hate you in New Leaf but Pocket Camp makes is much easier to catch them, especially rarer fish. I even caught a Coelacanth without even trying and within a few months of playing!






One thing I love about Pocket Camp is the cute interactions the villagers do when they visit your camp site. Just look at all these cuties! Sheep villagers are my favourites to have at my campsite and I love their designs in Pocket Camp. Recently I also had both Bill and Pekoe visit my campsite who were two villagers I adored in my town in New Leaf.







Look at these sheep cuties using the picnic table! I totally forgot I took this screenshot until I found it today to write this post. Ugh too cute! Also doesn't Bob look hilarious with this little sparkler in the next photo? He always seems to hang around them when I have them placed down for use.





Please admire the one time recently where I got not one but TWO leaf ticket fortune cookies for bells. A total fluke I reckon! Since the start of this month, I rarely get leaf ticket cookies for bells anymore. I've only had one this month where before you could get at least two or three a week if you checked all the time. I guess they changed the rate of them appearing recently and this was the beginning of the big push for leaf ticket spending.



Pocket Camp has been crazy with the events lately, like seriously starting a new one right after another. I was even joking with my workmate that I'm looking forward to a break after finishing the Hello Kitty one then went home after work to find the summer one has started. I went pretty hardcore with the last few events and completed all the tasks and got all the rewards. However the current event has turned me off them, I found the flower one a bit more of a struggle than normal. I did manage to complete it and once the fishing tourney event started, I got the golden rod but found you get fewer fish. I've read other players confirming this on the reddit and other forums so even with the golden rod, the spawn rate is lower. I can't be bothered completing the current event because I don't have the time to play every three hours at the moment and I just gave up with the fishing tourney. I have done the gyroid hunt as the items were pretty cute and much easier to obtain with help from your friends.



Whenever there wasn't a garden event going on, I was working on completing my flower and flower items collection. The hybrid system isn't that bad in Pocket Camp and is a bit easier than New Leaf. Plus villagers won't move in and destroy your flowers with their stupid house. Currently I'm working on completing the pansies collection and I'm just stuck grinding for enough of each colour to trade in for the items.


Snuck in another cute pic of Bob! Look at how happy he is on his little branch!


Here are a bunch of photos of me completing the recent events and some of the items you could get. I quite liked the festival themed ones and currently have them set up at my campsite. Eastern inspired items are always a favourite in the Animal Crossing series so I quite like using them in all the games.



Some new hairstyles were added to Pocket Camp recently which cost leaf tickets of course. I had quite few tickets saved up so I got the top bun style one (the blonde one in the bottom right corner). I was never a fan of the standard styles in the game so it was nice to get a more unique style. Even if it cost leaf tickets. I do wish however there was an option to try on clothing items before buying or crafting them as I want to see how they look on my character before committing. I would've gotten the other ponytail hairstyle but after seeing it on other players, I didn't really like the side ponytail look.


Took this quick photos of my garden which glitched out in a recent gardening event. When I went to visit my garden when it said there was creatures present, it was in this state with non-watered plants but butterflies present. After a few moments, it fixed itself and the flowers appeared. Just thought it was a funny glitch and I haven't seen too many in the game.


A lovely screenshot I had saved of the old Gulliver system. Look at all those goodies he gave me along with a villager map! Nowadays you could never get all this look AND a new villager map in one trip. I did use Gulliver quite a lot to get treats and off load my duplicates from fortune cookies. Now there is no reason to use all those cookies I have saved up from giving villagers rare items and the treats were a fun way to please villagers and level them up. Nintendo did announced the other day that they were aware of the backlash of the recent update and it looks like they may alter it somehow. It would be nice if they just went back to the old Gulliver as well as the old map system which used money to complete maps and not stupid materials. I don't want to waste my already hard to collect cotton on dice rolls. I'm a bit wary of New Horizons as I haven't been too impressed with footage that has been released. I'm not interested in the whole crafting aspect as it turned into bit of a pain in Disney Magical World when the materials needed had awful RNG aspects.


Hope you all enjoyed my Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp play journal! I'll leave you with these two adorable photos of Bob having the time of his life at my campsite. At least Bob had fun and that's all that matters :)



No comments:

Post a Comment