Sunday 5 August 2018

Simplicity 2054 Pattern Review

A little while ago, I made a new dress using this lovely Cynthia Rowley pattern from Simplicity. The pattern was super simple to make and turned out nicely. I thought it was finally time to post a review of the pattern which is 2054 from Simplicity.



Pattern Description
The pattern is described as a knit dress and cowl collar. The pattern has three variations of the dress: View is a long sleeved dress with an optional cowl collar, View B is a three quarter sleeve dress and View C has sleeves with a slit in the elbow part. The dress has no lining and requires no zippers.

Sizing
The sizing of the pattern is 4 to 22 and comes in two packets (6-14 and 14 to 22). I made the size 10 of the View A pattern without the cowl collar. The dress fits quite nicely and is ideal for autumn or winter weather (with a warm top underneath). The arms are a good length for me as I have quite long arms.

Instructions
I'd rank this pattern as a beginner level pattern and would be a good project for anyone wanting to learn how to sew with knits or learn more about sewing sleeves in. The instructions are easy to follow and the dress didn't take longer than a weekend to make. The pattern only has a few pieces which is great. Some patterns have so many and it's nice to sew something with less than five pieces for once.

Alterations
Only made one alteration to this pattern and that was shortening the dress length. I'm not a huge fan of long dress so I shortened it. I just used the shortening lines on the pattern to take off a fair amount of fabric.

Fabric Used
For the dress, I used a oriental flower print knit fabric which was fairly easy to sew. The only issue I had with the fabric is the tiny fibres that came off it when you used scissors or an overlocker on the fabric. I had to be careful not to breathe in the fibres as they were floating around. The pattern suggests the following fabrics for the pattern: light weight double knits, stretch velvet, two way stretch and ponte knit. The pattern is only sized for stretch knits only and will no work with non-stretch fabrics.

Likes & Dislikes
I've always been a fan of the Cynthia Rowley patterns from Simplicity and this pattern was another amazing one from the series. I actually brought this pattern years ago as I liked it so much but only got around to making it this year. It's a nice simple pattern to make and doesn't take too long to sew together. There isn't really any dislikes for me, maybe just the length but that's more personal preference.

Conclusion
I'd give this pattern a 10 out of 10 as it's simple and looks just like the photos on teh pattern package. Another solid dress pattern from Simplicity and a good pattern for cooler weather. This is a great starter pattern for anyone looking to get into knit or stretch sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment