Wednesday 6 February 2019

Dream Ami Wonderland - Single Review (CD Only Edition)

Since Dream Ami has just announced her eighth single Good Goodbye scheduled for release in March, I thought it was the perfect time to finally post a review of her last single Wonderland. I brought the CD Only edition of the single last year but have yet to post about it on Marzipan Wonderland. And talk about amazing, the single has the same word in it as my blog name. It was like fate brought us together 

CD Only Edition of Wonderland

Wonderland is Dream Ami's seventh single and was released in October 2018. The single is available in two editions: CD Only and CD+DVD. This is the first Dream Ami release to only have two editions and there is no One Coin editions like her previous singles. I got the CD Only edition as that is the usual edition I currently collected from Dream Ami. The single comes with the following contents:

  • CD - 4 Track Album
  • Lyrics Booklet
  • Jewel Case
  • Cardboard Sleeve
  • Plastic Sleeve with promo sticker



Wonderland single in the plastic sleeve

This single brings a new colour scheme to Dream Ami's releases which is a beautiful lilac purple. All her previous releases have been in the tones of pinks, blues and reds. I just cannot choose my ultimate favourite single design as they are all so wonderful, but this one would definitely be tied for first. The aesthetics of the single still have her signature pastel tones and the cardboard sleeve has that elegant matte feel to it like all the other singles. Dream Ami has the best single/album designs out of all the artists I collect honestly. They always put so much care and thought into designing them and they are a billion times better than some of the awful E-girls covers she was in. The front cover of the cardboard sleeve and jewel case have different photos which is nice. Wonderland has the same photo on both back covers though unlike previous releases which had different ones. The photos included in the single are inspired by the miniature concept of the MV for Wonderland.


Front covers of the cardboard sleeve and jewel case

Front cover of the jewel case

Back covers of the cardboard sleeve and jewel case



Promo sticker on the plastic sleeve

Once you open up the jewel case, there is a lyrics booklet and CD inside. The lyrics booklet features another photo of Ami on the back cover which is a close up of the photo of the front cover of the lyrics booklet. The CD has a gorgeous pinky purple tone to it with a silver band running around the edges. The lyrics booklet is quite simple with the lyrics to the two songs in it along with some production credits.


Interior of the Wonderland single





The CD Only edition of Wonderland contains 4 songs which are all brand new tracks. The title track is Wonderland which was used as the theme song for the movie Oz Land Egao no Mahou Oshiemasu. Honestly Wonderland is my least favourite Dream Ami song and probably the one I've listened to the least. It doesn't have that certain hook that I love in her songs. For example, Good Goodbye just came out and I loved it from first listen. I'm more into her upbeat tracks like that, Alright and Re: Dream. They would be my top songs from her but I do love her ballads. The second track on the CD is NEXT which was used as a song in the Japanese version of the Netflix movie Next Robo. Again, not a favourite track from her but it's nice to listen to. Along with this two new songs, the CD Only edition includes the instrumentals for the songs.


Dream Ami promoting the single

The other edition of Wonderland is the CD+DVD edition which has the cover shown below. Both are super adorable. I've seen online that the back cover is the same but not sure about the jewel case cover. The CD+DVD edition only has three tracks (omits the instrumental of NEXT) and contains a DVD with the MV's and a special live video.


CD+DVD Cover of Wonderland

The songs on this Dream Ami single weren't my favourite tracks but the single design definetly was a winner. It's great to see the designers finally using new colour tones but not forgetting the pastel appeal that makes her releases so good. I'm excited to see what covers will we get for Good Goodbye as the promo material is super quirky and colourful for it. I got my copy of the CD Only Edition of Wonderland from YesAsia which is where I buy all my Dream Ami releases. You can get it on there or from Japanese online music stores. Here are the two MV's from the single and I thought the concept of the Wonderland one was quite unique and out of the box.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Marzi it’s Jo,
    I love the concept of Wonderland but the song just didn’t hook me like: Lovefool, Try Everything, and Good Goodbye.
    I love the candy theme and the Lilac Purple is stunning.
    The CD design is lovely, although Dream Ami’s usually are.
    Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderland is a nice song, just a bit boring for me

      Delete
    2. Yeah I find it quite boring too, more into her other releases :)

      Delete