Wednesday 8 May 2019

Dream Ami Good Goodbye - Single Review (CD Only Edition)

Dream Ami's latest single Good Goodbye is finally here so it's time for a review. I love reviewing her singles as they are always aesthetically beautiful and have great tracks and instrumentals. Good Goodbye is no different so let's take a look!

CD Only Edition of Good Goodbye

Good Goodbye is Dream Ami's eighth single and was released on January 30th 2019 as a digital single and on March 13th 2019 as a physical single. The single is available in two editions: CD+DVD edition and CD Only edition. This is the second Dream Ami release to only have two editions and I'm guessing it will be the standard from now on. Not sure if rhythm zone has dropped the One Coin editions as I haven't seen them for other E-girls releases either. I got the CD Only edition as it's the usual one I collect and it comes with the following contents:


  • CD - 6 track single
  • Lyrics booklet
  • Jewel case
  • External bonus from CDJapan - A3 sized poster

CD Only Edition of Good Goodbye
 The concept for this single is super fun and has Ami portraying six different images of her self in the MV and single photos. I loved this concept and the bright colours of the single design. I think yellow always looks great on releases and it matched well with the pink tones. Now to talk about the one thing that I hate about this release - the removal of the cardboard sleeve. All of Dream Ami's other CD Only editions have come with a cardboard sleeve which you will know about if you read my other reviews of her releases. This was my favourite part of the single design and it was great when it had a different image to the jewel case design. The sleeves were always had that beautiful matte feel and gave the singles an elegant look. Now without the cardboard sleeve, this single looks out of place with my other Dream Ami releases. I did some searching on Instagram and it seems the CD+DVD edition has the cardboard sleeve but not the CD Only one. Not sure why this is the case as both editions have always had the cardboard sleeve in the past. No clue why rhythm zone went with the removal of the sleeve but I feel they've been dropping the ball with the quality of her releases lately. Waiting to see what the editions of her next release are like and then maybe I can work out if rhythm zone is just cheaping out on releases now. Anyway here's some pictures of the back of the single showing the 6 tracks included on the CD Only edition.



The cute dots design continues on in the interior of the jewel case. The CD design is super adorable and is simple yet stylish. Underneath the CD is some production credits and a photo of the bench from the MV and promotional material. At least I got a OBI strip with this edition which makes up a little bit for the lack of cardboard sleeve as I do love me some OBI strips. I don't know what it is about them that I'm so crazy about, but I just find them so interesting and get excited whenever I buy a used CD and it includes the OBI strip.






Some quick shots of the lyrics booklet which isn't too interesting. Ami's lyrics booklets are usually quite simple and don't have too many photos. The designs could've chucked us at least a photo on the back of the booklet as they had heaps of amazing shots from the MV. What I would've done for a photobook edition of this single. That would've been amazing!




Now onto a review of the tracks included on Good Goodbye and this single has to be my favourite release from Dream Ami to date. I love all three tracks on the single and think they perfectly represent her. Good Goodbye is the title track of the single and was used as the theme song for the animated movie Eiga no Osomatsu-san. The single was released digitally on January 30th 2019 with the physical release on March 13th. Good Goodbye is a fun upbeat track with addictive lyrics that fit with Ami's voice perfectly. When I first heard the song, I feel in love with it and it easily became one of top songs from her. The second track on the single is POSITIVE which is Dream Ami's own version of the song she previously featured on with tofubeats. The uplifting energy of this song is a quite addition to Good Goodbye and is quite similar to the original versions. The final song of the single is Dream Ami's version of the Dream song ヒマワリ Himawari and is a great closer to the first two tracks. I've always enjoyed this song in the E-girls concerts so I was happy to see Ami's own version of it. I wish on each one of her releases she will cover a E-girls/Dream song as it's interesting to hear her take on each song. She has done it in the past with Follow Me so it's possible. If Ami released just an album of E-girl covers or covers of other songs I would buy it in a heartbeat. The other three tracks on teh single are the instrumentals which are great as I do love my instrumentals. Here is the track listing for the CD Only edition of Good Goodbye:

  1. Good Goodbye
  2. POSITIVE (Dream Ami Version)
  3. ヒマワリ Himawari (Dream Ami Version)
  4. Good Goodbye (Instrumental)
  5. POSITIVE (Instrumental)
  6. ヒマワリ Himawari (Instrumental)

I brought my copy of the CD Only edition of Good Goodbye from CDJapan and received a bonus A3 sized posted with it. This was the main reason I brought the single from CDJapan and not my usual YesAsia as I'd like to start collecting Ami posters. The poster has the promotional image of Ami from the single. I would've preferred her in the costumes from the MV but this one is nice and perfectly Ami as well.

Poster image

Good Goodbye also comes in a CD+DVD edition which has a simiilar design to the CD Only edition. It has Ami in her different character concepts on the front cover with a different background. And you get the cardboard sleeve with it! Yay! The difference with the CD+DVD edition is that it only contains the first four tracks from the CD Only edition and a DVD containing the MV.


CD+DVD edition of Good Goodbye
Super happy with this Dream Ami release and I've been listening to it on repeat since I got it and before that on Spotify. Looking forward to future releases as usual from her as I'm interested to see if a full album is on the cards instead of another single. I hope it's another single as I'm not ready to see the price of the album after the shock of スダンナユズユリー Sudannayuzuyully's album price of over 7000JPY for the CD+DVD+BOX edition. Still amazes me just thinking about it and I haven't even gotten a copy of Ami's first album yet because of the price. Anway here is the MV for Good Goodbye, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment