Wednesday 22 May 2019

CocoSori 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid - Single Review (Type A Edition)

 A while back when I posted my giant Zenmarket haul, I managed to get my hands on the Type A edition of CocoSori's Japanese single 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid. I did a review of the Type B edition last year which you can read here! The editions are quite similar so this review will be quite short as I've covered most of the stuff in the Type B edition review.

CocoSori 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid - Type A Edition
愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid was released by duo CocoSori in August 2016. The single was released exclusively by Tower Records in Japan and was only available through their online or physical store. The single came in two editions: Type A and Type B. Type A only came with the title song 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid and the instrumental. Type B included 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid and the original Korean version of the girls Korean single Exquisite. I got Type A for my collection and it was on sale on the Tower Records online store when I brought it. Type A comes with the following content:

  • CD - 2 Track album
  • Jewel case
  • Lyrics booklet
  • Promotional Flyer


The single has a beautiful sea/beach inspired design which is gorgeous and features the girls in different outfits to the Type B edition. The back has the track listing and information about the single which is mostly about social media links.



The interior of the single is stunning with some cute photos of Coco and Sori. The CD features another gorgeous design just like the Type B edition. Honestly this one Japanese single the group released has one of the best single designs I've seen from groups. The CD actually has a image on it rather than a standard pattern and the photos are of high quality. You also get a little promotional flyer about the events the girls held in Japan. Quite an old flyer considering I brought my single in 2019 years after the single was released and the group disbanded not a while ago too.





The lyrics booklet is quite short and only contains the lyrics to 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid and some images of the girls. There are solo images of Coco and Sori and one of them on the beach. A list of production credits can be found on the back page and I have to say thank you to the company for inlcuding so many photos! Usually Japanese singles have pretty boring lyrics booklets with barely any images or none at all. Plus they are often just one page that opens up to both lyrics and production credits on the back page. Kudos to the company for actually putting some thought into the design!





The Type A edition of the single only comes with two tracks which are the title track 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid and it's accompany single. No incentive to buy this edition other than being a collector as you don't get anything exclusive to this edition. Here are both editions of 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid and they have similar designs to them. Type A has the girls in a cute sailor/uniform inspired look whereas Type B has a more casual look. Both are based at the beachside and feature plenty of stunning images in the lyrics booklet and one of the CD designs I've seen out of all J-Pop releases. 

CocoSori 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid - Type A & Type B

CocoSori 愛しのマーメイド Itoshi no Mermaid - Type A & Type B
The two things I would've liked to have seen with this single was photocards for each version and an OBI strip. I know Tower Records does do OBI's as my CLC ones have them. I guess photocards weren't included as you could buy them through the group's online store at the time or at the pop-up shop. As I mentioned before, I got Type A from Tower Records earlier this year when it was on sale and it is currently still available from Tower Records as of May 2019. It's a shame the group never released any other singles in Japan as they were kinda popular over there. I would've liked to have seen at least Dark Circle or Exquisite released in Japanese. However that isn't possible anymore as the group disbanded earlier this year. At least we can enjoy their one Japanese song and appreciate the beautiful single design.


No comments:

Post a Comment