Wednesday 7 November 2018

My Stamp Collection

Whenever I go into a stationery store, there's one section that I always head to first and that's the stamp section. I just adore stamps of all styles - cute animals, sayings, weather symbols and cat faces. I've been collecting stamps for a long time now and thought I would share my collection. Also I had to organise my collection so it was the perfect excuse.



First off are my wooden box sets which I have two of. The first one is a diary style set which I purchase from Kawaii Pen Shop. The set is called Cute Korean Happy Day Stamps and I brought it in the Original set. It contains 21 stamps featuring cute pictures of animals, weather symbols and other trinkets. All the stamps fit into this wooden box and are wooden rubber stamps. The second set is the Alphabet and Numbers stamp set from kikki.K. I brought this a few years ago as I had a voucher for the store but it's not my favourite. I'm not a fan of the type of rubber/gum they use on the stamps and when I use them, they leave this weird residue around the ink on the paper. I ended up giving this set to a friend as I no longer wanted it.




This is a Doraemon set I brought in Hong Kong many years ago. When I was visiting Hong Kong, I really wanted to find some kawaii stamp sets and I found this one and the Rilakkuma ones below in a little shop in the Metropolis Mall in Kowloon. The Doraemon set is surprisingly good! The ink pads have a strange look to them but have good ink that doesn't bleed through paper. Some of the stamps in the set don't fit both ink pads so you have to use the blue ink pad for the larger stamps. The stamps are decent quality but a bit cheap. The stickers come off easy and sometimes the stamp part will pop out of the plastic holder after you use it. No problem though as you can easily pop it back in.



These two Rilakkuma sets are the other sets I brought in Hong Kong. Now I love anything Rilakkuma so I just had to get these. Each set includes 8 stamps, 1 notepad, 1 stamp ink pad containing 4 colours, 1 plastic charm and plastic case. The stamps feature Rilakkuma and friends as well as food items such as pancakes and cakes. The stamps are quite tiny making them perfect for diary/schedulers. The notepad features a cute picture of Rilakkuma on each page and the pages are quite small. Now for the ink pad which is awful honestly. The ink bleeds through most types of paper and doesn't work well with the small details in the stamps. Over time the ink pads have actually shrunk as well (shown in the last photo). I ended up just throwing the ink pads out as they didn't work and I'd rather not have them leak anywhere.








Now for some random stamps I brought at Morning Glory which is a Korean store here. I got both of these sets in lucky bags with some other stationery. The first Rilakkuma set is one of the best sets I've ever brought! The ink pad is amazing and inks perfectly each time with any style of stamp. The stamps have cute pictures of Rilakkuma and friends on them and have funny sayings on them. The second set is a cute set of random pictures and a orange ink pad. The Happy Day one would be the one I've used the most but the chicken one is totally adorable.




Recently my favourite place to buy stationery is at Daiso which has a great stamp selection. I've only brought self-inking stamps so far from them and they've been hit and miss. The first set which is the pink tower one works great and the image comes out clearly. The second set which is the blue stackable tower is awful. I just cannot get the images to come out clearly for me and the details do not show. I love the concept and design of this stamp and how compact it is. But I just had to get rid of it because it just doesn't work well for me. I've seen a cute cat version of it in Daiso but I'm too scared to try it out after this failure. Not pictured here is the cute Winnie the Pooh stamp I recently got from Daiso and I talked about it in my October Favourites post.



Here's a few random stamps I have in my collection. The Hello Kitty ones I got from a video games arcade and they're alright. The ink can bleed quite a lot if you're not careful with the pressure. The Adventure Time one was a free gift when I purchased a planner from Taiwan many years ago. It is double sided with one side having Finn and Jake's faces and the other has them fist bumping. I'm a big fan of Adventure Time so I was excited to see this in the package. The final stamp is this cat one a friend of mine got in a packet of Japanese snacks once. It's actually one of the best stamps I own and is shaped like a cat body. The print is a cute cat face and the word OK with the O having cat ears.



I don't have that many ink pads in my collection. The coloured Rilakkuma one from before is the one I use the most and then maybe the small black one here. The pink ink pad was from a Barbie stamp set which I threw the stamps out from as they were awful. The small coloured ink pads can stack up together and are decent quality considering they just came from a cheap shop.



I present to you a stamp that I made myself. I've tried my hand at stamp carving a few times over the years and this is the only stamp I've kept so far. I made a little Ditto from a giant eraser a few years ago. The print comes out ok and you can tell that it's a Pokemon. I've always been interested in stamp carving and watched tutorials but I can never get the angles correct for the stamp to turn out well.



That's all the stamps in my collection and now we'll take a look at how some of them stamp. I went through and tested out each stamp and ink pad to see if they were worth keeping. Out of all the stamps, I ended up getting rid of the Daiso stamp tower (the blue one), the kikki.K set and the ink pads from the Rilakkuma box sets. The cat face stamp is my favourite in the collection and I use it quite often in my diary.









I hope you enjoyed taking a look at my stamp collection. Now that Daiso has opened up in Adelaide this year, it should be easier to find new stamps. I've seen some erasable ones in Officeworks as well from a Japanese brand and I'm interested in trying them out.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Marzi it's Jo,
    Wow! You have a lovely stamp collection the Rilakkuma ones are my fave, Rilakkuma is so cute it's hard to find merch of him in England I only have a thank you note from an eBay seller.
    It was nice too see your collection I'd say the collection I'm most proud of is my Amiibo Card collection I'm only about 6 shiny cards away from a full SP set!
    Hoping to get the remaining ones around Christmas
    Your trip to Hong Kong sounded fun it's such a beautiful country.
    Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get all my Rilakkuma merchandise from overseas as you can get the good official stuff. I did however get a Rilakkuma plush once at Timezone in the Gold Coast.

      Hong Kong was amazing, I went a very long time ago but I'd love to go again if I had the time.

      Delete