Wednesday 18 July 2018

Style Boutique: Sequel Ideas

This is a post I've been wanting to create for a long time now. I thought I would share game features and content that I would like to see if a sequel was made to New Style Boutique 3: Styling Star. There was so much content missing from Styling Star that I've missed, so some of these ideas may be old game features that were removed or altered. Please note, that these are just my ideas and I have no idea if a new game in the series will ever be made. These are just aspects I would love to have in the game. Anyway, let's get started!

Design your own nails
This was actually something I thought was going to be included in Styling Star. When I was younger, I used to play a lot of games were you'd make your own nail designs from the colours, stickers and features included on the website. So I naturally thought this concept would be the same in Styling Star. Then it turned out you just pick from pre-made ones which is nice, but not as fun. We totally need the feature to create our own designs to match outfits.

This panda design is pretty adorable though.

The return of Train Station locations
I couldn't believe that the train station locations were removed in Styling Star. You spent so much time visiting them in Fashion Forward that I thought they would just carry over into the new game. I don't need all of them to return, mainly just Maple Crescent and the Meadows as they are my favourites. Even if the train station doesn't have these locations, I'd like to see maybe an Eastern inspired garden added to the main city.

Standing around wondering why this wonderful location was removed.

Events with NPC's
One of the things Styling Star lacks is the options to interact with NPC's in the game. You only really attend events with the main characters or others in the main story line. Past that, there are only a few story points that pop up after the main story line finishes. I miss being invited to visit places with the main characters and take fun photos.

No region-locking!
This one is kinda self-explanatory and I've discussed it previously in other posts. I just want to be able to visit my friends who play Style Savvy and players in Japan. I just don't get why Fashion Forward was region free but Styling Star isn't.

Bring back Fashion Shows!
Such a core feature of the game, yet wasn't present in the new game. The game felt quite empty without fashion shows and there wasn't really much to do past the main story line challenge wise. As frustrating as the fashion shows were, I miss them and Styling Star could've improved on the concept so much. Like maybe have the feature to dress up multiple models or have a competitive aspect again where you compete against the computer models.

Five stars!! Take that game!!!

Rebuild the Photo Studio & have modelling jobs again
I find it so annoying to have to visit NIN10 every time I want to take photos and listen to Jim's speech about how to take photos. I would've liked to have seen the idea of the Photo Studio from Fashion Forward expanded upon and have the ability to change outfits at the shoot. I waste so much time going back and forth changing outfits for photos. It's nice to take more than one photo at a time though, A+ on that idea! Modelling Jobs are another aspect I'd like to see return. I didn't do them much, but it was fun to try to create outfits to match the theme.



Design your own make-up sets
Another feature that was removed in Styling Star. Whilst the pre-made sets in Styling Star are nice, the beautician is really lacking in the game. I guess because you don't have to unlock the sets anymore, the idea of the second floor and make-up lab was scrapped.

Caprice Chalet
I know that some players aren't too fond of this feature, but I totally love it and miss it in Styling Star. I wish it would return someday as creating themed rooms was such a fun concept and I loved trying to collect all the miniatures.

More apartment decorations that actually match
As much as I love being able to decorate the apartment again, I just find none of the items match perfectly with my layout ideas. So I'd like to see more colourful or themed sets and just let me remove items from my room. I don't need a cafe table in there!

The best I've been able to get my apartment to look.

Download play
Now this is something that my friends wanted to see. When we have our monthly gaming/streetpass meetups, we love to play games together on the 3DS. Someone mentioned in the past about wanting to have fashion shows via download play and I thought that would be a cool idea. Maybe something like older 3DS games used to do where a demo of the game would be sent to players who don't have the game and you could play a fashion show mini game. Or even better, just have some sort of multiplayer feature. Fashion Forward had a really boring one of just taking photos together or visiting Caprice Chalet rooms. I think that's a feature that could be expanded on with maybe fashion shows or creating outfits.

Hairstyles
Bring back the removed hairstyles is pretty much all I need to say. No clue why they had to take them out.

More design options
One of the more interesting concepts of the game is the ability to create your own designs. Whilst Fashion Forward had a great selection of design options, some of these were removed in Styling Star. I'd really like to see all the options return plus the new ones from Styling Star such as shopping bags. Fun design options I'd like to see included are cat ear headbands, outers such as jackets and jumpers, more t-shirt designs and the return of crazy tights patterns! I loved the bear design in Fashion Forward.

I need these cute tights to return!!

Expanded online features

Styling Star has some great online features (even if they are region-locked) and I think this is an area that could be built on. A miniature or clothing item gifting idea could be fun or even a friends list. I'd also like to see players you've friended/favourited appear at your boutique like the amiibo and Caprice Chalet ones used to in Fashion Forward.

New brand and style
This is something that is well overdue. I won't go into too much detail as I plan to do a post about this in the future, but I'd love to see a new brand or style included in the game. All we get is brands being removed and since fashion has evolved so much in recent years, I think there's room for a new brand that focuses on a new style in the game.

A rockabilly inspired brand like Princess Highway would be amazing!

Make-up options
For this, I'd like to see glitter and stencil options added to the make-up feature. I feel these would add something special to lively and psychedelic looks. Maybe even unique eyeliner styles would be fun such as crazy wings or how about those quirky looking false eyelashes you see around.

More boutique customers
Oh how I wish this would happen. In Styling Star, I get like tops 10 customers a day. It's practically nothing! Working at the boutique and creating outfits for customers is my favourite feature in the game and I was disappointed that I couldn't really do that in Styling Star. You can invite three NPC's to visit each day, but that's hardly anything.

Full outfit requests
You rarely get these except for certain style customers (i.e. gothic) and they definitely need to be ramped up. How am I meant to clear out items if I only ever sell a pair of red trousers or a baby-doll hat? This is a feature that definitely needs to be improved on.

We need more requests like this!

Sales and Clearances
I'd like to see an option at the boutique to be able to discount items as it would be an interesting concept. Hopefully it would bring in unique customer dialogue and increased traffic. Or better yet, just let us clear out all the stock at once. It's so time consuming having to select items individually.

Limited Edition items at the Exhibition Hall
This concept has been done before in the game series and it should return! Exclusive items always brought customers into the boutique and you had to always stay on top of having the must-have item of the moment in stock. It added a fun element of challenge and you could get some nice unique looking pieces.

Magazine 
Another feature that has been done before in the series, but I'd like to see it return as a sort of business in the city. Like a publication that prints the magazine and you can go there to be a model or design exclusive items for the magazine. It's definitely something that could be worked into the main story line of the game. 

Skirts with pants
I know it sounds like a crazy idea, but I just want to see the silly looking outfits it would create with customers. Plus I want to recreate Crayon Pop's iconic Bar Bar Bar outfits.


Male players
Some of my friends have expressed interest in the games series (and some even own the game), but dislike the fact that they cannot be a male character. I think it's about time the developers implemented a feature that allows players to play as a male or female character. The game has a male fanbase so there would be interested players for this. 

Amiibo
The characters amiibo's used to generate in Fashion Forward were an amazing sight and we need that to return! Mainly because my friends and I find it hilarious to scan in amiibo characters that look like our Mii's. Also on the topic of amiibo's, bring back the clothing items! I'm so disappointed that amiibo's were limited to boring emblems and designs. I miss the unique items and I think there are some great ideas for new ones like mario overalls or Princess Peach's dress. Purple Moon does have the amiibo items now, but not the gorgeous different colour ones that I like. I miss the purple and pink Rosalina dress so much! Also when is Wario going to get an amiibo item? That's something I'd love to see in the game.

Half the fun of amiibo items was just seeing the character's it generated.

That's all for my sequel ideas for now. Most of these were just bringing back removed game features, but I really feel like there's a lot of possibilities for game features if a new game was to be developed. Do you have any ideas of things you'd like to see in the next game? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear what players want in the game.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Marzi it’s Jo,
    These are great sequel plans, New Style Boutique 4: Rockabilly Rockers,
    I’ve always loved that idea of a new style being introduced it would be so fun,
    We honestly need to campaign for a new game if they don’t make one,
    I mean look at your support it’s AMAZING,
    If they introduced male playable characters they would need to make more styles for them like Male Gothic,
    Design your own nails would be so much fun too,
    I miss the Mii Amiibo feature too I loved seeing my Miis in game Haha,
    Thanks for sharing this,
    Thanks So Much :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We totally need a new style, it's been forever since we had any new looks in the game.
      I'm not sure if they'll make a new game or not because the 3DS is kinda over. Styling Star was kinda rushed out and I was surprised it came out.

      Delete
    2. Hi Marzi it’s Jo,
      Another sequel idea would be being able to pick your characters body size like Thin Slim and Curvy
      And everyone can wear the same clothing adapted,
      I think this would be a popular feature as everyone is different in life,
      We also need more height options in game too like an even shorter one or an even taller one,
      Another fun feature would be a pet that you could dress up in miniature fashions,
      And fashion shows need to be more customisable like choosing the music and decorating the stage with miniatures,
      I also think that we should be able to write our own songs,
      I can tell that Styling Star was rushed,
      Thanks So Much :) X .

      Delete
    3. Body sizes would be interesting, kinda like the different body sizes of the Barbie Fashionista dolls. I think the height system is pretty good, you can't really alter it too much as the characters need to fit on screen.

      I've never been interested in the song or music aspect of the game, so I don't really have an opinion on it. I usually play the game listening to something else so I've rarely heard the actual in-game music.

      Delete
    4. Hi Marzi it’s Jo,
      Body sizes would be popular I think as it would give players a more personal in game persona tailored to them,
      Thank goodness for the height option I always pick(ed) short height as it was quite personal,
      I’ve seen those Barbies with the body size option I think it’s a good idea as it teaches young girls that no one is the same as the next person,
      They did the same for Ken(s),
      I love(d) the in game music so I would have loved to write my own song(s),
      I would also love to be able to pick the colour of my characters eyebrows as when I did cosplays I would have loved for people to know that my characters natural hair colour was Darkest Brown,
      Thanks So Much :) X .

      Delete
    5. The Barbie dolls are pretty nice. I have two of them but the series is hard to come across here so I've never been able to find others I wanted.

      I always use the same set of eyebrows so I've never bothered thinking about changing the colour.

      Delete
  2. Heya, I know I haven't commented in a while but it's difficult to find time these days! That said I do my best to keep up with your blog. Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything in this list. A lot of these were nonsensical design decisions, like removing fashion shows, decoration items, the limited apartment customization (Trendsetters got this right...in this game it's like "why would I want a cafe table and chair that clearly belong on some patio")...I could go on. And my sausage curls. MY PRECIOUS SAUSAGE CURLS NEED TO COME BACK. They were a staple of my lolita looks!

    I really like the idea of designing our own nails. The technology is clearly there so why not? And I would love for the magazine to come back.

    Also hoping they seriously consider implementing the option to play as a male character. Depending on the type of game, I prefer playing as a guy, and if Style Savvy gave me the option I'd gladly do it. I love the menswear items, especially their cool necklaces. And who says guys can't wear makeup? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! I've been so busy recently that I've had no time for replying to comments.

      The cafe chair thing is so dumb. That's why I never spend anytime decorating the apartment as I just hate that option.

      I really thought nail design was going to be a feature, but I guess I expected too much. I totally thought technology from the early 2000's was good enough for a 2017 game haha

      Delete
  3. The game definitely felt rushed and the fact that it had little promotion in Japan after release means it wasn't that successful. The previous game had lots of magazines/books released with tons of DLC, but Styling Star had nothing.

    The outfit requests are so stupid, like that one customer who only ever wants a pair of red trousers. It's so boring and I rarely get customers to serve anyway.

    Yeah I was talking about actual pants and skirts because I want to see the stupid things customers try to layer. Could you imagine baggy pants with a mini skirt? The horror!

    There 100% should be a filter for finding items you don't own yet. The amount of hours wasted going through all the items at the Exhibition Hall to find ones I didn't own.

    Animal Crossing kinda has a similar slider to what your mentioning for colours. It would be nice if we could use that design system in the game. I didn't mind the colour palette in fashion forward, I thought the colours looked nicer. I've noticed as well that items from brands don't match colour wise, it's quite frustrating when creating outfits.

    I literally smash the 3DS screen to try and skip scenes. I have no patience haha.

    Yeah I don't really see a new game in the series for a while. The switch doesn't even have Animal Crossing yet. I've seen Love Nikki and some of the outfits look cute. I don't play mobile games though so I've never tried it.

    So I'm in a local nintendo group which I discovered at a convention once. I met some people who invited me to join and then I went along to one of the 3DS meets. Since then I've pretty much gone to every meet for 5 years and my closest friends are from the group. The group isn't as active nowadays, only really people debating stuff in the group online.

    I used to have a tumblr years ago under the name emptymypockets (you may still see my guides/posts around the place). I decided to delete my tumblr as I felt I had outgrown the website and couldn't keep maintaining it at the time. Plus all the original blogs I followed for k-pop disappeared so I just moved on from the site. Yeah it's difficult running so many blogs, I have a notebook to keep up with things. I've been quite busy lately so I don't have as much time for blogging.

    Thanks for visiting! I try to put out at least 2 Style Boutique related posts a week. I've got quite a few challenges to post so keep a look out for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Perfidie, fancy meeting you here! (it's alphards-asterism!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone's here! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello ! Hey Iriye, I had no ideas it was you !

    Thank you for for all your answers Marzipanini. I always feel bittersweet about Style Savvy game, it has so much potential and to be frank the western release is a disaster when it comes to advertising, it does recall a shovelware genre yet it's a quality game by Nintendo lol.
    I agree with all your points and understand your feelings about Tumblr. It has a much faster pace than a regular blogging plateform, similar to Twitter or Facebook. On BlogSpot at least you can develop your thoughts much further !

    About Animal Crossing game, I was very impressed by the town you built, I had no ideas you could build such a pretty town in Animal Crossing ! I really loved all the flowers and trees you've put, and these water tiles are sure lovely and refreshing.
    I own Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome Amibo and I always have a rough time getting myself into it. I feel like I'm going nowhere and that short sessions aren't enough to truly play the game. Do you have any tips ?

    Thank you very much !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The covers don't look too bad for the Style Boutique releases, they don't look as shovelware as some other games I see in the pre-owned section. Seen some pretty bad Wii games that EB Games should just chuck out really because they're never gonna sell.

    Yeah I just felt I got too old for tumblr. I'd been on there a while but nothing was holding my interest anymore (the Style Boutique community wasn't as big back then). Blogger is much easier to use and let's you create more in depth posts. Plus comments are much easier to maintain and posts show up on google more often due to the label system.

    My town took a while to get looking that great. I've been playing Animal Crossing for years so I was pretty interested in New Leaf when it came out. I haven't been able to get into Happy Home Designer or Pocket Camp though, so don't worry about not being able to get into the series. I'm not sure of any tips, just look at other players for inspiration and try to focus on one activity at a time in the game. Maybe decorating your town or your house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would absolutely love for a magazine feature in the next Style Savvy game! Modeling for the cover would be so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A magazine is definitely something I'd love to see in the next game! Kinda building on the ones that appeared in previous games would be nice and maybe have a photographer character as one of the main story line components.

      Delete
  9. It would also be neat if we could mix and match outfits freely for the customers (Not all of them, of course). Or how about some customers requesting a certain outfit with 2 different styles in it(such as lively & baby doll together)? That would be a fun challenge to do. Also there should be more ways to match an outfit besides just "Style".

    How about matching colors or patterns, or certain season themes, like Halloween, summer, Valentine's day, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I so wish you could do that! I was really hoping in Styling Star that a new request could be added like 'I'll take whatever you think looks great!' But the requests were very restricted in my opinion, like it's boring doing the red pants request for the 100th time.

      Delete