Wednesday 19 October 2022

Crayon Pop The Streets Go Disco - Mini Album Review (Australian Edition)

Looking back at all the music reviews that I have done Marzipan Wonderland, I'm always amazed at how I haven't gone through all my Crayon Pop releases yet! I have a large number of them in my collection and today we will be looking at one of their mini albums - The Streets Go Disco!


The Streets Go Disco was released in September 2013 and was released in a few different versions. Each member had their own version but none of those are the one I shall be reviewing today. This particular CD is actually the Australian edition released through JB Hi-Fi stores in 2013. Back when the mini album was released, Crayon Pop came to Australia for a fun promotional tour and the stores stocked this CD. I remember shattered at the time as I didn't have the means to travel to Sydney where they were promoting and that would've been the coolest thing ever! At least I was able to buy their CD in person at a store! I recall it cost about $9.99 which is the common price for CDs in JB Hi-Fi. The edition of The Streets Go Disco that I have came with the following contents:
  • CD - 8 track mini album
  • Jewel case
  • Lyrics booklet


The cover for this edition has the members in their famous jump pose whilst wearing their helmet outfits. Everyone who was into K-Pop during this time knew this outfit! This cover is used as the digital cover for this mini album and the physical versions released in Korea have different covers. The back cover showcases the track listing for the album in lovely large print. There is some production information listed as well which is quite fascinating. Crayon Pop was promoted in Australia through a deal with Sony Music which is the big music company over here. The idea was to increase the market for Korean singers as Psy was popular at the time. It didn't really go anywhere and nowadays you can only really find boy groups in music stores. The back of this cover does make me laugh though as it lists bandit.fm on it and that brings back old memories. I had an account on there for years and I brought more music through there than iTunes!



Inside the jewel case, you will find the CD and lyrics booklet. I personally love this design as it matches well with the album aesthetic and feels very on brand for Crayon Pop. Even though it has lots of information on it, the main focus is the group name and logo. I totally forgot about this group logo with the letters C & P! I guess they didn't use it for long and I always remember the one with the lines more. Terrible description but it's the one shown on their Japanese content.




This version of The Streets Go Disco does not come with a OBI and that is ok because it isn't common for Korean releases or international editions. It did come with a lovely lyrics booklet though and it has some great photos of the members. I always laugh at how my copy has one extra photo of Choa! Like it's so random! I guess maybe this carried over from the Korean versions or maybe each one was random. I've never seen another copy of this CD so I cannot confirm.











The physical album of The Streets Go Disco has a different track listing to the digital one. The digital one only contains track 1, 3 and 7. Most of these songs had previous releases anyway so any hardcore fan like myself already owned them. I swear I've purchased the Bar Bar Bar song at least 10 times now. The newer songs to this release were Bar Bar Bar 2.0 and Dancing Queen 2.0. They are basically slightly altered versions of the original songs and I'm personally a fan of the originals. The new ones are fun to listen to but I always love the original Dancing Queen with the older busking MV. No standout favourite as I love them all equally because I love Crayon Pop 🤍🤍

Track Listing
  1. Bar Bar Bar 2.0
  2. Bar Bar Bar (Original Version)
  3. Dancing Queen 2.0
  4. Dancing Queen (Original Version)
  5. Saturday Night (Dubstep Version)
  6. Saturday Night (Original Version)
  7. Bing Bing (Poppin Version)
  8. Bing Bing (Original Version)

That brings us up to six Crayon Pop reviews on the blog. One of my goals for the blog in 2022 was to post more music reviews and we've actually got through quite a lot. It was fun to share one of my favourite K-Pop albums and this one is special to me as it was one of the first ones I brought in person rather than online. And it makes me miss Crayon Pop and their fun songs and antics. There will never be another group like them as you just cannot replicate that. Hilariously the MV for Bar Bar Bar 2.0 which is known as the global version has been removed from YouTube. So much for global!






No comments:

Post a Comment