Tuesday 13 February 2018

New Look Pattern 6373 Review

Time for another sewing pattern review as I recently finished making a item from a pattern I've never used before. The last sewing post I made was well received so I hope my readers enjoy this post as well. This review will be about the New Look pattern 6373.



Pattern Description

The pattern features four items that can be created; playsuit (view A), romper (view B) and two dresses (view C & D). The playsuit and the romper feature a flounce, but this part of the pattern can be easily omitted when sewing the item. All items have a facing part and tie together at the back with a button loop. The playsuit and romper have an elastic band waist and a drawstring. I have only used this pattern once and made the romper in view B. 

Sizing
The sizing of the pattern is 8 to 20 (seven sizes in one) and I made the size 10 pattern. Once I completed the item, I found the bodice part was a bit loose for my body shape. The pants and waist part is fine, I just think the size 10 bodice was too big for my frame.

Instructions
The pattern is marked as an easy level pattern and the steps are quite easy to follow. I enjoyed making the item as there were some new techniques I had never tried before. I skipped some steps like turning the edges as I always overlock my fabric and often don't need to do that step because of the overlocking. I was happy with how the button loop part turned out as I thought I wouldn't have gotten it in the right spot.

Alterations
No alterations were made for this project. I followed the steps correctly and only skipped the turning parts as I overlocked the pieces. For the first time making this pattern, I didn't feel the need to make alterations. Plus the item turns out like the picture and there was no parts of the pattern that I disliked enough to change. Maybe another time if I make this again, I might omit the flounce part.

Fabric Used
For the romper, I used this silky fabric I brought at Lincraft years ago. It has this amazing paint splatter design all over it in different colours. No clue what I originally brought the fabric for as it's a type of fabric that wouldn't look good when made into certain things. Luckily I kept it all this time as it was perfect for this romper pattern. But boy was it a pain to work with! I've worked with similar fabrics before and this project reminded me at why I usually stick to other types. It was difficult to cut out, difficult to line up and little particles of it went everywhere when cut off the overlocker. However after all that, it turned out amazing and the fabric looks even better in real life. It feels amazing as well, perfect for summer weather!

Likes & Dislikes
At first I wasn't sure about the flounce part of the pattern. But I think with the right fabric, it works. It turned out quite well with this project and is suited to this type of fabric. I found the drawstring part a bit difficult to sew but I've never done one before and the fabric was a bit difficult to work with. There wasn't anything major that I disliked about this pattern.

Conclusion
I'm glad I picked this pattern up! I brought it at Lincraft for like a $1 as I had a voucher and if you are a member, you get an extra 10% patterns. I specifically went to Lincraft that day to find a playsuit style pattern and I'm happy I brought this one. It was a fun project to make and is suitable for beginners. I probably wouldn't make the romper again and might make one of the dress patterns in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Cool, it looks like it came from an actual clothing store! Must be really satisfying to finish it and be able to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The weather is still a bit warm here in Australia so hopefully I'll find somewhere to wear it :)

      Delete