Tuesday 6 February 2018

After School Lady Luck/Dilly Dally - Single Review (CD Only Edition)

Finally got around to making another music related post. I have such a back log of singles and albums to review, so let's get started. This review will be about After School's Japanese single Lady Luck/Dilly Dally single. The single is the group's fourth Japanese single released in 2012 and I will be reviewing the CD Only version.


Front cover of Lady Luck/Dilly Dally single.

The Lady Luck/Dilly Dally single comes in three versions: CD only, CD+DVD Music Video Edition and CD+DVD Live Edition. I got the CD Only version from the First Press run so it came with a photo card (random from 9 types). The CD Only version includes the lyrics booklet, CD, photo card and the OBI (the paper part on the side). There was also a piece of paper detailing information about the single, promotions and Japanese fanclub.


Contents of Lady Luck/Dilly Dally single.

I just love the pastel design of the album! It just stunning and aesthetically pleasing. The CD Only version of the single comes with the eight girls in seperate sections on the cover. Personally the eight rectangle design of the group's Japanese singles are my favourite and I always try to collect these versions. I have the same design in the Bang, Diva and Heaven versions. The only issue I have with the design is that the text on the back cover doesn't match the front and sides. Not a big issue, but I thought it could've matched as it does everywhere else.


Front & back covers of the single.

Interior of CD case.


The First Press edition comes with a photo card and even though the single has been out for a long time, I was still able to purchase a new copy of the single in the First Press run. I got Juyeon's photo card which is quite pretty. I would've preferred to have gotten my favourite member Lizzy but I'm not too fussed as I'm not really into collecting photo cards. I do love the back design of all the Japanese After School photo cards though.


Photo card front.

Photo card back.

Now for the review of the songs! The CD Only version of the single comes with six tracks:
  1. Lady Luck
  2. Dilly Dally
  3. SLOW LOVE
  4. Lady Luck (Instrumental)
  5. Dilly Dally (Instrumental)
  6. SLOW LOVE (Instrumental)
I mainly wanted this single as I enjoy the song Dilly Dally and didn't yet have the album that it came on (Best released in 2015). All songs featured on the single were used in CM's by the group. Lady Luck is a cute song, just a bit odd for a fierce group like After School to be performing. I find it doesn't match their image and is way different from their usual sound. Dilly Dally is closer to the group's sound and has an edgy dance feel to it. SLOW LOVE is a beautiful slower tempo song with meaningful lyrics. The instrumentals are amazing as usual, After School always delivers with great instrumentals. I prefer the instrumental of Lady Luck to the actual song. The one for Dilly Dally was one of the reasons I wanted this single as I wanted to hear the instrumental. I thought maybe with this album, the songs could've been split into two singles. Lady Luck and SLOW LOVE on one and Dilly Dally on another (with maybe a B-side song). The images of the songs were just polar opposites of each to be on the same single. Plus I would've loved to have gotten some awesome cover photo for the Dilly Dally single. Overall I am happy with the tracks on this single and love the instrumentals.

Lyrics booklet.

I brought my CD Only version of the single from YesAsia. There is an problem with the single being listed on the site though. The description only lists the first three tracks and excludes the instrumentals. So at first I was confused at what was included when I looked the single up a few years ago. The trick to figure this out is the check the publisher product code against the same item on other shopping sites or on the single's information page on Generasia. I use Generasia for all my information on Japanese albums and singles as you can find info on all released versions of CD's and their content. The CD Only version is available from other online shops such as CD Japan. If you buy the single on iTunes, it only includes the first three tracks and not the instrumentals. So that is all and I will end this review with the MV of the song Lady Luck. If you purchase the CD+DVD MV Edition of the single, the DVD comes with this MV.



4 comments:

  1. I ended up checking out all the other tracks on Youtube after clicking the Lady Luck link. Dilly Dally is a catchy song! SLOW LOVE was really nice as well. Even though these are the first songs I've heard from this group, I can tell that Lady Luck is a bit weird coming from them (though it's probably bias due to reading your review first).

    I listen to a wide variety of Japanese stuff and I'm always looking for new tunes. Do you have any more favourites/recommendations from this group? I like songs in the style of Dilly Dally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that you checked the group out! After School is one of the best k-pop groups in my opinion. They have a solid discography both Korean and Japanese. I'd definitely recommend checking out anything by the group and I'll give you some suggestions:

      Korean Songs:
      New Schoolgirl - Their first single and features the killer track Ah.
      Bang - My personal favourite
      Diva - Another personal favourite
      Flashback - You'd like this one if you liked Dilly Dally

      Japanese songs:
      Bang - Love the Japanese version of this
      Diva - Another solid release from the group
      Ms Independent - Highly recommend since it's like Dilly Dally
      Shh - Has a cool house music sound
      Dress To Kill Album - Perfection is all I can say

      Also check out Orange Caramel who are the sub-unit of After School. They are one of my favourite groups. Unfortunately much like After School, they don't release anything anymore but they have a great discography. Catallena is one my top songs from them.

      Delete
    2. So today I listened to the entire Dress to Kill album while working, and it's just like you said. Great music all around, with most artists there's always one or two tracks that are meh, but that's not the case here! I'm in love with Crazy Driver, that song is just awesome and makes me bob my head. My only regret is that their songs tend to be shorter than what I'm used to.

      I have a 5-speaker plus subwoofer audio setup on my computer, I like how the songs put my subwoofer to work, haha!

      Delete
    3. It's hard to find albums that every tracks is amazing. The best album in my opinion is E.G. Crazy by E-girls. Every song on that album is perfect.

      You should check out After School's first Japanese album Playgirlz

      Delete