Wednesday 5 April 2023

Girls' Generation 3rd Album Repackage Mr. Taxi - Album Review

Speeding through these music reviews in recent weeks! No clue where this motivation came from and I will be shocked if I manage to post 10 before the middle of the year. Today we shall be looking at an album from the one and only Girls' Generation which is the Mr. Taxi repackage of their 3rd Album. This isn't a highly detailed album so the review is a little short but lovely.


Mr. Taxi is the 3rd Album from Korean girl group Girls' Generation and it was released on December 9th 2011. It is a repackage of the groups 3rd Album The Boys which was previously released on October 19th 2011 in multiple countries. I actually own the International version of this album that I got through Amazon US and I got this Mr. Taxi album from JB Hi-Fi. My copy was brand new and came with the following contents:
  • CD - 13 track album
  • 12 postcards
  • Photocard (random from 9 types)
  • SM Town flyer





Instead of a photobook, the Mr. Taxi album contains 12 postcards featuring gorgeous photos of the members. Each member has their own postcard with a close-up photo on one side and a full body on the other. This is quite nice as you could display these and I think that is better than a photobook if you were really invested in a group. Plus the postcards are high quality and easily slip into the album if you wanted to keep them safe. Some of the postcards contain the lyrics and production information.




For the photocard, I got Sunny which is rather cute! She isn't my bias in Girls' Generation and I don't collect the group at all so no major issues for me. I would've loved to have gotten Jessica as she was my bias back in the day when I followed the group. The back design on the photocard is quite nice and matches the album design well.



Since this album is a repackage, it contains songs that were already featured on The Boys album. It has the same tracks just in a different order. It is missing the four remixes that were featured on the International version and I reckon I've never even listened to those more than once as I'm not a remix person. This album is amazing and has a great selection of killer tracks. My personal favourites are Trick, Oscar and Lazy Girl (Dolce Far Niente). I prefer the Japanese version of Mr. Taxi as it is super nostalgic for me being the first Girls' Generation song I discovered.
  1. Mr. Taxi [Korean Ver.]
  2. The Boys
  3. 텔레파시 Telepathy
  4. Say Yes
  5. Trick
  6. 봄날 How Great Is Your Love
  7. Mr J
  8. Oscar
  9. Top Secret
  10. Lazy Girl (Dolce Far Niente)
  11. 제자리걸음 Sunflower
  12. 비타민 Vitamin
  13. The Boys [English Ver.]

Not sure what the popular opinion on repackage albums and honestly I'm on the fence about it. I like that it's a great way to get songs if you didn't already own the first album and on the other hand, it is rather annoying having to spend money (sometimes over $30) on the album for one or two new songs. I've been seeing NCT 127's repackage album at JB HiFi and found it amusing that SM is still going with the repackages all these years later. I feel repackages aren't as popular as they were back in 2012 and it is mostly SM that I see releasing them. This particular album does look like to be out of print so it would be ideal to find second hand. I was shocked to even see this available for order at JB HiFi considering how old it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment