Wednesday 23 August 2023

Red Velvet Vol 1. The Red - Album Review

I thought I had done a Red Velvet review on the blog in the past however turns out I actually haven't! Red Velvet is a group that I used to be quite into but have dropped off in interest in recent years. Like I like their music, I just prefer their old stuff and that is mostly what I have in my collection. The Red album was the first Red Velvet CD that I got in my collection and I even recall buying their debut single Happiness on iTunes when it first came out. I used to post stacks of Red Velvet images on my Tumblr back in the day before Yeri joined and I'm sure I would post more now with Yeri as she is my bias in the group.


Vol. 1 The Red is the first full album from Korean girl group Red Velvet and it was released on September 9th 2015. The album only comes in one version from what I researched even though some sites list there being a blue and red version. I looked this up and couldn't see this supposed red version which is just the booklet inside the jewel case with a red background instead of blue. A version of the album was released in Taiwan in October and everything is the same with that one. For the photocard I got Irene who is the member I tend to get besides Yeri. Funny how you always end up pulling the same members. I brought my copy of The Red from a local (now sadly closed) K-Pop store and it came with the following contents:
  • CD - 10 track album
  • Sleevebox
  • Jewel case
  • 24 page lyric booklet
  • 48 page photobook
  • Photocard (Random 1 out of 6 types)

























The overall album is quite solid and a listen the whole way through. I remember listening to it like that when I used to go on long train trips into town. All the tracks fit nicely together and there are some standout tracks. My favourites would be Dumb Dumb which is the title track along with Oh Boy and Time Slip. The track Lady's Room feels very Girls' Generation to me like it could've been a track originally write for them. The track listing for The Red is as follows:

  1. Dumb Dumb
  2. Huff N Puff
  3. Campfire
  4. Red Dress
  5. Oh Boy
  6. Lady's Room
  7. Time Slip
  8. Don't U Wait No More
  9. Day 1
  10. Cool World
It feels like Red Velvet is overdue for another full album and the repackage of their second album was all the way back in 2018. So their last album was technically 2017 if we don't count the repackage and that is way too long for a popular and senior group like Red Velvet to wait. This album is still available to purchase if you look on the right sites as some say it is Out of Print. Red Velvet is one of those groups I collect randomly and haven't got their newer stuff as there are just too many versions for me. That's what was great about this album was that it only came in one version.


No comments:

Post a Comment