Wednesday 31 August 2022

Pungdeng-E 2nd Album - 액션 풍뎅이 Action Pungdeng-E Go! - Album Review

Looking over my K-Pop collection, I've realised that I really like wacky concept groups! Orange Caramel, Crayon Pop and Pungdeng-E of course! That is who we will be looking at today with their 2nd Album 액션 풍뎅이 Action Pungdeng-E Go! This one was a hard one to find and I ended up purchasing it in a bundle with their 1st Album 풍뎅이 풍뎅이 Go! Pungdeng-E Pungdeng-E Go! I've reviewed it previously and you can read that review here! Such a good deal for two amazing albums!


2nd Album 액션 풍뎅이 Action Pungdeng-E Go! is Pungdeng-E's second Korean album and it was released in 2014. The album only came in one version and was available through mainstream K-Pop stores. Unfortunately this gem is now out of print and it took myself a long time to come across a physical copy of one. The album comes with the following contents:
  • CD - 5 track album
  • Photobook


The front cover has the girls posing with the cabbages which you may think is strange at first. However the title track of this release 배추보쌈 Baechu Bossam is about cabbages and I highly recommend you check out the MV to understand the story of this song. This photo is quite bizarre to look at as it feels like I took the photo out of focus but it is actually just an effect applied to the photo on the actual album. The back cover is super cute with some cartoons of the members in their corresponding colours. That background is totally crazy and very on brand for Pungdeng-E. Their albums always have a lot of sponsors which are listed down the bottom and that is something you don't see too often on K-Pop albums. Pungdeng-E was pretty nugu though and not very well known in the western market. Quite popular in Japan though as that is where I got hold of this album.




The album features a digipack style with the plastic casing for the CD housing. Whilst I love this design, I've had Pungdeng-E albums in the past that have a broken casing so it can be a tad fragile. The CD does have one of the best designs of it of all time with the girls heads blending into a cabbage background. Absolute madness of a design but I love it! All three members look super cute and it's impossible to pick a bias.



The photobook sits on the left side of the album interior and has 26 pages. It is full of great photos of the group in some colourful outfits. Whilst small, this photobook packs a punch! You get a selection of group and individual member photos along with some behind the scenes snaps at the end. Other Pungdeng-E albums have this same section and I quite like them as it shows a different side of the girls. They did work hard back when they were active and performed at a fair amount of events. Lyrics and productions credits are included in the book as usual.















In typical Pungdeng-E fashion, this release is called an album but actually only contains 4 tracks plus an instrumental. Not a full album in a typical sense and more like a mini album. The only new track to this release is the title track 배추보쌈 Baechu Bossam which is an upbeat K-Pop song infused with rap. This was actually the first song I heard from the group and eventually looked up more of their discography. I think I came across the MV randomly one day on YouTube and was like 'yes, I want more of this craziness!'. Apart from the instrumental for 배추보쌈 Baechu Bossam, the other tracks on the album are older tracks that were featured on the 1st Album and through digital singles.
  1. 배추보쌈 Baechu Bossam
  2. 알탕 Al-Tang
  3. 솜사탕 Cotton Candy
  4. 잘탕 Jal-Tang
  5. 배추보쌈 Baechu Bossam (Instrumental)

Now that this review is done, I have reached the last Pungdeng-E album in my collection to review. There is one release from their discography that I do not own and are forever searching for. Maybe one day I will be able to review that one if I ever find it. I hope you enjoyed this crazy Pungdeng-E journey with me and it is sad that it has come to an end. The group is no longer active and is pretty much disbanded. Wherever Blue, Red and Yellow are now, I hope they are having wonderful lives and thank you for being joy with your music and adventures! Don't forget to check out the amazing MV for 배추보쌈 Baechu Bossam!

No comments:

Post a Comment