Wednesday 27 May 2020

Animal Crossing New Horizons Play Journal - Starting From The Beginning

Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd be well aware that Animal Crossing New Horizons came out in March and it has been super popular. I picked it up day 1 and have been playing the game a fair bit since launch. I've amassed quite a collection of screenshots from my adventures in game so I thought I'd share them all in a new play journal series. I've kept them in the order I've taken them so there you can notice the growth in the island development. To start off the play journal, here's a snap of my character arriving on the island only to be greeted by the Nooklings. Honestly I like these guys over Tom Nook, especially Tommy who I always make sure to talk to at the shop. Plus they looked super cute early on in the game with their little flags!


Finally got a fruit that wasn't apples as my native fruit! I've always had apples in previous games so it was great to get cherries as my native fruit! I do have an orchard set up now with all the different types but I really miss lemons as I loved how they looked on the trees and was my favourite tree to plant in the town besides the cedar.


My starter villagers are Renee and Sparro who still live in my town today. Renee seemed to be a popular starter villager as a number of people I know had her as well. Sparro is pretty cool and is always happy to talk. He reminds me of Bill who I loved in New Leaf and is one of the best Jock villagers. The second picture is from when I donated the Sea Bass to Blathers and completly ignored his request to learn fascinating facts about the sea bass. Like the only thing you need to know about the sea bass is that there is a billion of them. Seriously why is there no Nook Miles achievement for how many sea bass you catch?



The new camera feature is pretty cool in the game and I like how you can pan the camera to take photos from different angles. Here's my character chilling on a weedy area of my island and I quite like how the weeds look in the new game. Much nicer than previous games and it's easier to get the weed achievement now. I'm actually not far off getting the top one and you do get quite a few weeds each day to pick up for the achievement.


One thing I don't like in New Horizons is the way the tools break. Like why? It's not fun and ruins the experience of activities. I was so confused at first why on earth my watering can would break. I can understand the axe breaking cause it could in previous games but a watering can? Sometimes my tools break and I completely forget to make new ones so the next time I play I'm wondering why my fishing rod went. Yes I know I can just carry spares or the DIY table like people tell me, but I like to have the inventory space for picking up or catching things. So strange that we are this far into the game series, yet the tools don't have a separate inventory yet and still take up space!


It's been fun playing with friends online in the game and it's interesting seeing how everyone decorates their islands in different styles. Here is a few cute pics of my friends and I playing together. My friend got a tambourine for me which was quite amusing and you can just spam playing it which is chaos. We have a large Animal Crossing group at my work and we visit each others towns mainly for turnips cause we want those bells!! I didn't do much decorating on my island until I had decent stuff and was waiting for terraforming before I put anything in their final places (the beach was full of villager houses cause it was easy to move from there). So for a while, I just had memes displayed everywhere for amusement. The women yelling at cat meme is my favourite of all time (seriously love that cat Smudge!) so I had my house decorated in just that meme.







I think the villagers look so cute when they are crafting! They are working so hard and going crazy with the hammer. The starter houses the first few villagers have are quite nice and I like the simplicity. Shame they can't upgrade unless you move them back in. Whilst on a trip to my friend's town for turnips one Sunday morning, I discovered he had Bill! So jealous cause Bill rocks but I have this amiibo card so I can move him in one day if I want.



Official opening ceremony of Nook's Cranny and the museum now. No clue why Sparro isn't there or any other villager besides Renee. I can see in the second photo that the smoke is coming from Sparro's house so maybe he was sick or something. I've had a few villagers be sick already in the game and I like how they recover as soon as you give them medicine. I used to cheat back in Wild World and just open my gates as it would automatically cure them. Nook's and the museum have all been moved to new locations since I unlocked terraforming and Nook's previous placement used to confuse visitors all the time.



Found Alice on a Nook Mile Island so I got her to move in as one of my 3 plot villagers for Nook. So happy to find her as I love the Koala villagers! She still lives in my town and I kept here original greeting as it was super cute and aussie. Also saw my first scorpion quite early on in the game! I play in the southern hemisphere of course cause I live there and it's great to finally have winter in game when it's winter here! I missed catching this scorpion cause he got stuck in the tent area and you couldn't get a net there so he ended up knocking my character out. Last picture is of the arapaima which is a little too detail for my liking. The lifeness of the fish freaks me out cause I'm not the biggest fish/sea person in real life, so they all look a bit freaky.




One complaint I've heard online is the lack villager dialogue which I figured out pretty early from this conversation with Renee. I talked to her a few times that day and she was just sick of me. Nowadays I only talk to each villager once to get up the achievement of talking to each villager a day and then I'll talk to them again if they are crafting or I want to give them a present. Nintendo really needs to fix the dialogue because I had more fun with it in New Leaf. The old scale questions were hilarious!

No clue why I took this super spooky photo, must've been for a Nook Miles achievement or something. I do like the filters available in the camera app. It's amazing to see how basic my entrance looked at the start of the game. I even forgot there was a rock there originally! The second photo is of my successful catch of the scorpion finally! I got about three of them on that island trip and this was before Nintendo nerfed the spawn rates of them. I have caught a few tarantulas since the new season bugs started and been knocked out by a few as well!



And that's it for my first New Horizons play journal! These were all the screenshots from the month of March so it was nice to fit them all in one post. Next up will be some screenshots from April and you will start seeing tons of development and changes in my island as I start unlocking more content. And it will look a billion times prettier!!


No comments:

Post a Comment