Wednesday 20 July 2022

Crayon Pop Single Album 어이 Uh-ee - Single Review

The numbering for this Crayon Pop is a tad confusing and it can be a bit complicated. Most sites list it as the third single in their discography whilst stores just list it as a single album. I think it is technically about their sixth single as 빠빠빠 Bar Bar Bar was their fourth then 꾸리스마스 Lonely Christmas was their fifth. I'm going to call it the 'Single Album' as that is what most sites and the album itself refers to it as. Let's take a look at this confusing thing!


어이 Uh-ee was released in April 2014 and was their follow up single to the smash hit 빠빠빠 Bar Bar Bar. It was released with only one version as most Crayon Pop albums are however you can find listings for a Taiwanese Edition that is exactly the same as this one (you can count the sticker on the front as a bonus I guess). I didn't actually buy this one myself as I received it as a lovely birthday present from a friend but I believe they brought it most likely from the Morning Glory store. This single album comes with the following:
  • CD - 2 track single
  • Hardback Sleeve
  • DVD Digipack
  • 30-page Photobook


As per usual, this album has the typical Crayon Pop craziness. The girls have taken inspiration from traditional Korean clothing for their concept outfits. I found this quote from Choa regarding the outfits - "While celebrating the New Year, the members took pictures in our Hanbok and we realized if the outfits could be altered slightly the would actually be quite comfortable to wear around all the time ... so that was our inspiration." Personally I love the outfits and they look comfortable enough to perform in. Sometimes when I watch performances of K-Pop groups, I think it must be hard to move in those restrictive or tiny clothing items.


The front cover has the girls in the quirky looking get-up and the back cover has a new outfit. All very traditionally inspired looks and it's nice to get a group photo on both sides of the album. When you think about it, not many Korean albums do this. I feel it's more of a 2nd/3rd Generation thing maybe? If I look at my collection, not many of them have back photos.


On the interior you will find the 30-page photobook along with the CD. And look at the beautiful design of this one! One of my favourites as it is rather unique and captires your attention. Not I'm not a fan of the colour red but it works so well here. This single has a great design over all and it incredible sturdy. You get a hardback sleeve that protects the DVD digipack style case and it sits nicely on a shelf. Honestly one of my favourite album designs for CD releases.


Onto the photobook and you get lots of lovely photos of the girls. Look at these pose queens! Such variety and attitude! Looks like they had fun shooting this photobook and the photos are a great size. There are some faded out pages towards the back and I assume these are for autographs? Like they look like they are the perfect place to get your favourite members autograph. No photocard for this single and I don't think any Korean releases from the group contain photocards. I have a number of their releases and I've never had any or seen any. There are ones for their Japanese releases though.



















Being a single, the track listing for this CD is incredible short. You get the title track 어이 Uh-ee and the accompanying instrumental. Nothing else to be found on here. At first I wasn't the biggest fan of this song and it actually took a few years for me to truly appreciate it. I always had it ranked low on my list of Crayon Pop releases. Now I always sing along with it comes on my playlist. The Japanese version is amazing as well and has an great translation to Japanese that keeps the quirkiness of the song.
  1. 어이 Uh-ee
  2. 어이 Uh-ee (Instrumental)


It is a shame this song wasn't super popular when it came out and couldn't live up to the heights of 빠빠빠 Bar Bar Bar. Sometimes I feel they should've released FM after 빠빠빠 Bar Bar Bar to show a different concept and maybe done this for a summer comeback or something. FM was received well and I think that could've helped the girls image are artists. I do love 어이 Uh-ee nowadays and treasure this album in my Crayon Pop collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment