Wednesday 1 August 2018

Crayon Pop 2nd Mini Album FM - Album Review

Can't believe I'm yet to post a review of one of my favourite K-Pop groups, Crayon Pop! Well that's all about the change because it's about time I post a review of one of their releases. It's an old one, but a goodie. Let's get into a review of Crayon Pop's 2nd Mini Album FM!


FM is Crayon Pop's 2nd Mini Album and was released in 2015. The album comes in one version and is about 20cm by 20cm in size. No photocard was included with the album which is a shame as the promotional outfits would've looked amazing. The album comes with the following contents:
  • CD - 6 track album
  • Photobook

The album depicts the girls in Power Rangers and Sailor Moon inspired outfits. The front and back covers of the album have a grainy and shiny look to them which you can notice in the photos. Other albums from the group have a similar texture, my Strawberry Milk album feels exactly the same. The front cover has the girls poses superhero style whilst the back contents the logo and track listing. Inside the album, the photobook can be found on the right hand side and the CD on the left. The CD is held in nicely and features a design similar to the back cover.




Now for some photobook spam! The photobook contains excellent photos of the girls ready to spring into action. There are group photos as well as pages devoted to individual photos. My favourite pages would be the adorable comic/anime style drawings of the girls. The final photo in this set posted below is my ultimate fave one. Lyrics and credits can be found at the end of the photobook as well.















The album contains 3 songs plus the instrumentals for each track. The title track FM is a epic electronic pop song about a girl trying to save a guy. Chrome Entertainment stated FM is a term for a type of guy that follows rules a certain way so that's the story behind the song meaning. Honestly I wish Chrome had used this song as the follow up to Bar Bar Bar for the group. They would've had more success with this rather than Uh-ee. As much as I enjoy that song, I feel FM would've been more accepted and cemented them as more serious artists after the viral Bar Bar Bar.

The other tracks on the album are 하파타카 Hapataka and 1, 2, 3, 4. The later was a previously released song from the group in Japan, so it was nice to get a Korean version. 하파타카 Hapataka is a upbeat song that is similar the groups previous sound. I thoroughly enjoyed all three songs on the album and the instrumentals of course! I love when companies include instrumentals on albums (looking at you Pledis for never releasing Catallena or My Copycat). Here is the track listing for the album:
  1. FM
  2. 하파타카 Hapataka
  3. 1, 2, 3, 4
  4. FM (Instrumental)
  5. 하파타카 Hapataka (Insturmental)
  6. 1, 2, 3, 4 (Instrumental)

Album cover

FM is a good solid release from Crayon Pop and all six tracks are enjoyable to listen to. My only negative point with this album is the lack of photo cards which seems to be a theme with Crayon Pop's Korean releases. I've never gotten any in my albums which is disappointing. I got my copy of FM from a random Korean store in town which used to sell K-Pop albums. Not sure if they still do as they've moved shops a few times and switched to mainly selling beauty products. Will need to take a look next time I'm in town. The album is still available on some online K-Pop stores, but is out of print on YesAsia which is where I get most of my albums.


The title track FM got an amazing MV to match the Power Rangers theme of the song. Check it out below as well as the dance version if you've yet to see it. It's truly epic!




No comments:

Post a Comment