Wednesday 8 November 2017

Pungdeng-E プンデンイ 1st Japanese Album Ppi Ppi Ppa Ppa ピピパパ - Review

If you haven't heard of the awesome group called Pungdeng-E, you're definitely missing out. They are a music group from Korea who has a fun, bright and unique image. A while ago, they release their first album in Japan where they have a large following. Thought I would review the album as it's one my favourites in my collection.


Pungdeng-E 1st Japanese Album Ppi Ppi Ppa Ppa 日本盤1stアルバム ピピパパ

The album is titled Pungdeng-E 1st Japanese Album Ppi Ppi Ppa Ppa ピピパパ and features six amazing tracks. Japanese versions of  ピピパパ Ppi Ppi Ppa Ppa and ペチュポサム Baechu Bossam are included as well as the original Korean versions of Reversal, Cotton Candy, Al-Tang and Jal-Tang. No instrumentals are included on the album and it is basically a introduction to the group as it includes their discography as well as new Japanese versions. It comes in a standard jewel CD case and no OBI was included in the album.

Here is the track listing for the album:
  1. ピピパパ (Japanese Version)
  2. ペチュポサム (Japanese Version)
  3.  ヨクチョン Reversal
  4. ソムサタン Cotton Candy
  5. アルタン Al-Tang
  6. ザルタン Jal-Tang
The cover features a colourful layout and shows the three members in their individual colours; red, yellow and blue.  Colourful word bubbles are scattered about and the album title is displayed in the top right hand corner.


Front Cover

The back cover continues with the individual colour theme and the groups logo is featured. Here you can find the track listing showing the Japanese titles for the songs. Inside the CD case, there is a bright orange CD and a lyrics booklet. Japanese lyrics are included for the first two tracks and the rest have the Korean lyrics. Producing credits are listed on the last page of the lyrics booklet. There was no pictures unfortunately in the lyrics booklet and I would've liked to have seen at least one group picture.


Back & Front Cover

Inside of the album


Lyrics booklet

I did receive a photocard with the album, but it's just made from paper rather than the usual stiff cardboard that photocards come in. The paper is quite flimsy so I've just left the card in the album. It's quite large so it won't even fit with my other photocards. I got blue's card which shows her posing in the darkness. I'd like to see what the other member's cards look like but I've never come across images of them on the internet.


Album Cover and Blue's photocard

Now for the album review. I have to say I enjoy the Japanese versions of Ppi Ppi Ppa Ppa and Baechu Bossam way more than the original Korean versions. Now I love the Korean version of Baechu Bossam but after hearing the Japanese version, I prefer that one. I like the flow of the raps and the structure of the lyrics. The production quality of the first two tracks (the Japanese ones) is high quality compared to other Japanese version of Korean songs I've heard from other groups. I was quite surprised at the quality of the song and I was happy because other Japanese versions of Korean songs have this low quality quality to them and I feel the companies don't care about anything except selling albums or filling up track listings. Overall I was happy with the Japanese songs and I really wish they had re-made all their songs in Japanese. I was disappointed to find out the album wasn't like that because I was anticipating a bop with the Japanese version of Al-Tang and Jal-Tang. It was nice to get the Korean tracks included though as I didn't already own them.

If Pungdeng-E makes another Japanese album, I'd like to see some songs specifically made for the album. The girls haven't released much since the Japanese album and I expect their recent releases would appear on the album. Photocards made from cardboard rather than paper would be great as well.

I brought my copy of Ppi Ppi Ppa Ppa ピピパパ from Amazon Japan and pre-ordered it before the release date. As with Amazon Japan, it only took a few days to reach me as their shipping speeds are super fast. Shipping costs can be expensive though, especially for CD's.  It is still available to buy on Amazon Japan as well as CDJapan.

No comments:

Post a Comment